ALL SAINTS' CHURCH,
This site in Claverley has probably
been a place of worship since before Christianity came to Britain. The yew tree
outside of the northeast corner of the Church is over 2,500 years old and such
trees were commonly planted in sacred places.
The massive foundations under
the Chancel are likely to be of Roman origin.
A wooden Church was
probably built on the foundation in the early part of the 7th Century. The first stone construction was erected in
the middle of that Century.
The oldest parts of the building of the Church as
we see it today are the West wall and parts of the North wall which date to the
Norman period, probably the first half of the 12th
The lower part of the
Tower was built at this time, unusually placed in the south side in the
Crusader fashion. The upper part of the Tower was added after 1494 with the
buttresses. The buttress projecting into the Nave has a curious niche commonly
referred to as the ‘Penitential Seat’, although the origins of the name are
lost in history.
The Chapel in the North
side was built in the late 15th Century using the West wall of the old Vestry
as its East wall. The length of the window was determined by the roof of the
Vestry as was the north facing window in the sanctuary.
The Church has been
extended and expanded through the ages as you can see from the floor plan.